Tri - Runner's Roost

A blog from a "Middle of the Pack Marathoner" starting his journey from Newbie to Ironman. The ride is awesome!

 
I Don’t Wanna Stop

Add a video to your site Webratsmusic.com
Update your profile
History
I started running in January of 2004 to get in shape. I had gained too much weight and felt terrible. I was able to run my first 5K 3 months later. 2 years later and 50 lbs lighter, I have continued to push for greater goals and have run 5 marathons and I am training for an Iron distance triathlon now. Everyday I wake up with a positive attitude towards life, training and my future.
Marathons Completed
Arizona RockNRoll 2007
Salt Lake City Marathon 2006
Steamboat Marathon 2005
Boulder Backroads 2005
Las Vegas Marathon 2005
Why do I Tri?
Should be why do I want to Tri? I want to see just how far I can push myself. With everyday I am in the best shape of my life. And I'm never going back!!!!
Sponsors
Elite Family Fitness-Canon City
BB's Tanning and Massage
Scheduled Races
Littlefoot Triathlon
Bolder Boulder 10K
Highland Ranch Sprint
Boulder Long Triathlon
Redman Iron Distance
Season for Reflecting
December 13, 2006
Tis the Season to be Thankful.
It is this time of year that I start reflecting on the past year and how it has gone. What I like, dislike and how can I change what I am doing to improve.
This year was my first year of Triathlons. I entertained the idea last year but never really gave it much thought. Until one day I met a young lady sales rep at my office and the world changed suddenly. You see, she was a Traithlete - had done Kona 2 times. She was excited and energetic and she really sparked a fire. Until that time I was just a marathoner, a runner. I love running, but it sure gets boring after awhile. Once the spark was lit, it lit a fire that has driven me this whole year. Thank you Judy McSweeney.
I bought my bike in April for my birthday. Although not a "Triathlon Bike", it was a brand new road bike - my Felt s90 is still my bike of choice for training. My biggest fear starting this Tri thing was the swim. I am stilll not where I want to be regarding the swim but I am improving. My gym is working on purchasing a FastLane for the pool which I hope will give me the oppurtunity to swim more. If I can get the swim down I feel I can really start placing higher in my age division. I don't freak out as much on open water swims as I use to either. Next year I have to really push the swimming and get in some coaching as well.
The bike portion is my favorite event. I absolutely love the feel of the bike under me. Pushing harder than the person ahead of me. Always trying to pick off the next rider. Next year I will be racing with my new Quintana Roo and still training on my Felt. I will need to get in longer rides next year and start pushing toward getting in some 100 mile rides as well. I need to look at finding a riding partner to keep the competition level up. Plus, it is always good and safer to go on rides with at least one other person.
Let's get to the running - this year has been great. Salt Lake City Marathon, Rim Rock Run, Multiple shorter races. Plus learning how to do brick workouts. All awesome runs. Next year I have the Arizona Rock and Roll in January, plus the BolderBoulder, possibly the Pikes Peak Ascent and/or Marathon. Multiple 5 and 10K races. running is still a passion to me. Swimming and Biking has done nothing but strengthen and speed up my runs.
I look forward to a new year of challenges. I really want to do an Ironman race but I want to work my way up to it. That's why I am doing the Timberman 70.3. I feel that I am not worthy of doing a full Ironman yet and I want to really enjoy my training and racing. I hope to be ready for 2008 and the Florida Ironman. I am looking closely at the new OneOOne race in Texas that is being held in November of next year. The length puts it in between the 70.3 and the Full Ironman. I will have to see how I feel after Timberman before I make that leap.
2007 is the year of my breakout Triathlons. I want to finally start placing higher in my age division and really work at getting my swim times down. I am looking for races wherever I can find them.
Life is good, Let the New Year come. I am ready for it. Bring it on!!!!!!
posted by Mondo @ 8:52 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

HPIM0667 Name: John Maynard
Home: Canon City, Colorado, United States
About Me: In 2008 I completed a full Ironman. Since that time I have continued to keep myself in a decent shape with running and hiking. As the years have rolled on so has my midsection. With my 50th birthday behind me I have embarked on another journey in life. This journey will take me into my next decade in the best shape of my entire life. It's time to kick life into overdrive.
See my complete profile

Pueblo Tri T1.1 -->

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

 
Free Web Counters
Site Counter