Tri - Runner's Roost

A blog from a "Middle of the Pack Marathoner" starting his journey from Newbie to Ironman. The ride is awesome!

 
I Don’t Wanna Stop

Add a video to your site Webratsmusic.com
Update your profile
History
I started running in January of 2004 to get in shape. I had gained too much weight and felt terrible. I was able to run my first 5K 3 months later. 2 years later and 50 lbs lighter, I have continued to push for greater goals and have run 5 marathons and I am training for an Iron distance triathlon now. Everyday I wake up with a positive attitude towards life, training and my future.
Marathons Completed
Arizona RockNRoll 2007
Salt Lake City Marathon 2006
Steamboat Marathon 2005
Boulder Backroads 2005
Las Vegas Marathon 2005
Why do I Tri?
Should be why do I want to Tri? I want to see just how far I can push myself. With everyday I am in the best shape of my life. And I'm never going back!!!!
Sponsors
Elite Family Fitness-Canon City
BB's Tanning and Massage
Scheduled Races
Littlefoot Triathlon
Bolder Boulder 10K
Highland Ranch Sprint
Boulder Long Triathlon
Redman Iron Distance
Loving Colorado
November 06, 2006

There is a reason for Colorado being the Mecca of sport training.


It's the weather.


It is absolutely beautiful out here for the 1st full week of November. The weather this week is suppose to be clear and have highs of up to 70 degrees on Wednesday. Wow what awesome training weather.


Friday was not so bad either. I was able to take my new bike out on the road for the first trial ride. The weather was clear and about 65 degrees. There was a slight breeze here in town. I headed out of town taking the highway east towards Florence. I had to stop by the bank anyway. the bike took some getting use to, being a shorter wheelbase and smaller rims than my other bike I felt a little unsteady in the aero position. After getting the hang of it, I pushed it hard to see how I felt with the new frame.


To my amazement, it rocked. I headed out of town on a very hilly course and did not have to use my small chainring. The bike felt so light under me. My quads were burning in no time. For the first time on this route I was able to stay in the aero position for the entire ride out. And guess what? No back pain. I use to always get some low back pain on my other bike when I stayed in the aero position for a long time.


The fun kinda ended when I took the turn to go to Florence. I was hit with a stiff crosswind. I found out what a wind does to carbon wheels. HOLY CRAP ! The increased surface of the carbon wheels felt like sails. The wind kept pushing my wheels out into the traffic and made it almost impossible to maintain the aero position. I can just imagine what it would be like with full carbon disk wheels. There was a couple of times I though I was going to biff it bad. Once I got down off the bluff the wind calmed down and I felt a little better, and calmer.


All and all the ride was a learning experience. I really like the way the bike handles and the way it feels. My back never hurt during the entire ride and I did feel the work being done by mostly my quads for the ride.


posted by Mondo @ 9:07 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

HPIM0667 Name: John Maynard
Home: Canon City, Colorado, United States
About Me: In 2008 I completed a full Ironman. Since that time I have continued to keep myself in a decent shape with running and hiking. As the years have rolled on so has my midsection. With my 50th birthday behind me I have embarked on another journey in life. This journey will take me into my next decade in the best shape of my entire life. It's time to kick life into overdrive.
See my complete profile

Pueblo Tri T1.1 -->

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

 
Free Web Counters
Site Counter