Tri - Runner's Roost

A blog from a "Middle of the Pack Marathoner" starting his journey from Newbie to Ironman. The ride is awesome!

 
I Don’t Wanna Stop

Add a video to your site Webratsmusic.com
Update your profile
History
I started running in January of 2004 to get in shape. I had gained too much weight and felt terrible. I was able to run my first 5K 3 months later. 2 years later and 50 lbs lighter, I have continued to push for greater goals and have run 5 marathons and I am training for an Iron distance triathlon now. Everyday I wake up with a positive attitude towards life, training and my future.
Marathons Completed
Arizona RockNRoll 2007
Salt Lake City Marathon 2006
Steamboat Marathon 2005
Boulder Backroads 2005
Las Vegas Marathon 2005
Why do I Tri?
Should be why do I want to Tri? I want to see just how far I can push myself. With everyday I am in the best shape of my life. And I'm never going back!!!!
Sponsors
Elite Family Fitness-Canon City
BB's Tanning and Massage
Scheduled Races
Littlefoot Triathlon
Bolder Boulder 10K
Highland Ranch Sprint
Boulder Long Triathlon
Redman Iron Distance
The Tri Life
October 24, 2006

Last night I was thinking about my training, my dreams, my plans for the future. But as I was thinking about the future I started to think about the past and the changes that have come from the decisions I have made in the past 3 years. I though about life before the changes were made and have come up with a list:


3 years ago:


I was tired all the time, no energy to get things done.

I was 50# heavier and wearing a 37+ waist.

I smoked those mini cigars on a regular basis.

I drank way too much alcohol.

I couldn't run or walk 1/2 mile without stopping to take a breath.

I procrastinated way too much.

My biggest recreation was fishing. Not that that is bad, but it is not very active.

I did not have that many friends that I associated with.

I went to bed late and woke up late.

I ate way too much.


That was how it use to be. Life was just made up of another day after day. I really did not have any motivation to move myself. But that was all changed by one simple event that sparked a flame.


I am a volunteer firefighter with my local fire department, I am a lieutenant and have been with them for the past 6 years. One day we had a call for a brush fire. I responded with a few men and met up with the firefighters from BLM. The fire was about 2 miles away across two ridge lines. We started the hike down and then on the way up the other side I could not breath, I had chest pain, and had to slow down to a crawl to get up the other side. After that call I promised myself that I would never let that happen again. In January of 2004 I decided to change everything. Now I look back at what I changed:


Post 2004 -


Stopped smoking

Changed my diet to low carb, high protein.

Lost 50 pounds.

Lost 6 inches off of waist.

Body Fat percentage down to around 9%

Only occasional alcohol.

Exercise daily.

Can run 26.2 miles - did this 5 times.

Can cycle 60 + miles

Can swim 2000 meters.

Can swim open water with freaking.

No longer procrastinate.

Lot's of energy, some to spare at times.

Go to bed early and wake up way early to train.

Making plans for races up to 2 years in advance.

My bike is more valuable than my car.

I now regularly correspond with bunch of friends that enjoy the same thing I do.

Life is no longer dull.

And #1 - I do own a Six-Pack.


So my hopes of the future remain the same. I will continue to push myself physically and mentally to complete in Triathlons. I plan on several sprint and Olympic triathlons next year as well as a few marathons. My "A" race continues to be The Timberman Half-Ironman. Then the push for the following year will be for Ironman Florida. I hope I can, at some point, qualify for Kona. My only regret is that I did not find myself in this sport earlier in life when I could have been a contender. CIAO.


posted by Mondo @ 10:31 AM  
2 Comments:
  • At 7:48 AM, Blogger Duane said…

    Saw you at the raceAthlete get together Saturday night in Boulder and didn't get a chance to talk with you. You looked like you were in really good shape and I appreciate your lastest blog entry as I am trying to change things around also. Hopefully since we are in the same locale we will cross paths in this tri world.

     
  • At 10:11 AM, Blogger 21st Century Mom said…

    Now that's inspirational writing. Thanks for sharing

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

HPIM0667 Name: John Maynard
Home: Canon City, Colorado, United States
About Me: In 2008 I completed a full Ironman. Since that time I have continued to keep myself in a decent shape with running and hiking. As the years have rolled on so has my midsection. With my 50th birthday behind me I have embarked on another journey in life. This journey will take me into my next decade in the best shape of my entire life. It's time to kick life into overdrive.
See my complete profile

Pueblo Tri T1.1 -->

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

 
Free Web Counters
Site Counter