Tri - Runner's Roost

A blog from a "Middle of the Pack Marathoner" starting his journey from Newbie to Ironman. The ride is awesome!

 
I Don’t Wanna Stop

Add a video to your site Webratsmusic.com
Update your profile
History
I started running in January of 2004 to get in shape. I had gained too much weight and felt terrible. I was able to run my first 5K 3 months later. 2 years later and 50 lbs lighter, I have continued to push for greater goals and have run 5 marathons and I am training for an Iron distance triathlon now. Everyday I wake up with a positive attitude towards life, training and my future.
Marathons Completed
Arizona RockNRoll 2007
Salt Lake City Marathon 2006
Steamboat Marathon 2005
Boulder Backroads 2005
Las Vegas Marathon 2005
Why do I Tri?
Should be why do I want to Tri? I want to see just how far I can push myself. With everyday I am in the best shape of my life. And I'm never going back!!!!
Sponsors
Elite Family Fitness-Canon City
BB's Tanning and Massage
Scheduled Races
Littlefoot Triathlon
Bolder Boulder 10K
Highland Ranch Sprint
Boulder Long Triathlon
Redman Iron Distance
Timberman 70.3 Race Report
August 22, 2007


Well Hello Everyone. I am sorry my race report was not done sooner but I had to get back to Colorado to get some pictures finished and race results. Plus it is easier to type at my own computer.


The 2007 Timberman Triathlon 70.3 was held on August 19th, 2007.


I awakened after what seemed like 15 minutes of sleep the night before. I felt surprisingly calm for the morning of my big race. I got in a shower and changed into my tri-suit. It felt cold outside and I threw on a long sleeve shirt over the top. The day before I packed everything up in my transition bag and had my food and supplements lined up on the counter. First thing before leaving was to get to the bathroom, then I downed an Imodium and headed out the door. I ate a small meal of bagels and yogurt for breakfast and had my coffee. On the way to the race area I drank a Muscle Milk to get in some needed protein and calories for the day ahead of me.


After getting to the race area, I entered the transition area. Since I dropped off my bike there had been a few additions - like about 1800 more bikes. Wow what a site to see. I was amazed at every ones choices in bikes. Some real expensive bike and some cheaper. Almost everyone I met looked a little nervous in some way. I made it to my bike and got my transition area set up. I was not worried about my transition time since this was going to be a 6 hour ordeal anyway. What's another minute or two. I ate again an got my wetsuit on. This time I used Pam instead of baby oil. There was going to be a wetsuit stripping station but just in case I wanted to be able to get it off if needed. I headed to the water.


Once down to the beach I walked out into the water and it felt great. Not too cold. I thought the swim was going to make me real nervous and anxious but after looking out at the buoys I thought to myself - Wow, that's not so bad.... I felt relieved, possibly because I had trained so hard and that I have done the mileage before. While out in the water I had the pleasure of meeting Dick and Richard Hoyt. Just seeing them there was an inspiration in itself. If he can finish this race with his son, damn if I'm going to drop out.


The swim started a little late because of a misplaced buoy. Our wave started out on the swim and the water felt good. Even though our wave was the biggest age group, the swim was very calm. There was not a lot of kicking and hitting. I touched a few feet along the way and felt mine touched from behind a few times. When I would swim into someone else it seemed that everyone just turned a little and moved over. My rhythm felt good and I fell into a good stroke/breathing pace. I sighted about every 20 strokes. Up to the first turn everything went well, I stayed in a semi straight line and had no problems getting around the buoy. The back side was a little harder since the sun was in my eyes to sight and I wandered off to the left. When I went to site again I was near a kayak and he told me to head to the right - thank you whoever you are. As I got closer to the 2nd buoy I finally sighted it and headed out with a purpose. I rounded the 2nd buoy and looked up to sight and there was the swim finish in the distance. What a sight! And amazingly I felt great! Several minutes later and I was crawling out of the water and running. I was running - wow. I felt like a million bucks. I passed by my family and kept on moving. Up to the wetsuit strippers - I never knew my wetsuit could come off so quickly. Geez. Before I could count to 3 my suit was off and thrown back at me. Into transition - it's time to ride. Swim Time: 1.2 mile, 42:23, 125/185 Men 40-44


Next up the bike ride .................................

posted by Mondo @ 11:51 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

HPIM0667 Name: John Maynard
Home: Canon City, Colorado, United States
About Me: In 2008 I completed a full Ironman. Since that time I have continued to keep myself in a decent shape with running and hiking. As the years have rolled on so has my midsection. With my 50th birthday behind me I have embarked on another journey in life. This journey will take me into my next decade in the best shape of my entire life. It's time to kick life into overdrive.
See my complete profile

Pueblo Tri T1.1 -->

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

 
Free Web Counters
Site Counter