Tri - Runner's Roost

A blog from a "Middle of the Pack Marathoner" starting his journey from Newbie to Ironman. The ride is awesome!

 
I Don’t Wanna Stop

Add a video to your site Webratsmusic.com
Update your profile
History
I started running in January of 2004 to get in shape. I had gained too much weight and felt terrible. I was able to run my first 5K 3 months later. 2 years later and 50 lbs lighter, I have continued to push for greater goals and have run 5 marathons and I am training for an Iron distance triathlon now. Everyday I wake up with a positive attitude towards life, training and my future.
Marathons Completed
Arizona RockNRoll 2007
Salt Lake City Marathon 2006
Steamboat Marathon 2005
Boulder Backroads 2005
Las Vegas Marathon 2005
Why do I Tri?
Should be why do I want to Tri? I want to see just how far I can push myself. With everyday I am in the best shape of my life. And I'm never going back!!!!
Sponsors
Elite Family Fitness-Canon City
BB's Tanning and Massage
Scheduled Races
Littlefoot Triathlon
Bolder Boulder 10K
Highland Ranch Sprint
Boulder Long Triathlon
Redman Iron Distance
A week of Memories
August 03, 2007
GOOOOOOD MORNING - SPORTS FANS EVERYWHERE !!!!!!!!




Hey, how is everyone?




What a week it has been - it had all the action, drama, and stunts of a major motion picture.




Today is the 3rd of august which means I have a little over 14 days left till Timberman.


Not that I am nervous or anything - look my hands are not even shakkkkkkkking.


This week has been great for training. There has been a lot of excitement, adventure and pure adrenaline rush moments.


Tuesday was schedule for cycling - although my race bike was already packed up and ready to send off to New Hampshire, I still have my training bike to fall back on. Together we got in a good hill ride going up 8 mile hill and following that with a trip over the steep Skyline Ridge. Everything is feeling fine so far. Maybe a little tired in the legs but no pain.


Wednesday started out uneventful. I got in a 9 mile run. I purposely kept the pace slow and steady. Averaging about 9:30 min/mi. I just wanted to try slowing it down to the pace I will be using for Timberman. I would like to maintain just under a 9:30 so that I can finish strong and run the whole distance. I discovered I really need to increase my electrolyte intake prior to the run at Timberman to ward off the leg cramps.


What started out as an uneventful day turned into the adventure of a lifetime. I left Wednesday night from work and joined the team for an open water swim at Pueblo Reservoir. Laurie had found a real nice cove with no traffic for the swim. We all got in the water and from out by the buoy we headed into the cove - about 750-800 yards approximated. Everyone had a great swim into the cove and made the distance without problem.


On the way back out of the cove things got a little more exciting. The water was calm up until you got by the point of the cove. Then all hell broke loose. Little to my knowledge but there was a storm coming in fast. At the point I got past the point the waves were about 6 inches to 1 foot in size and the current was stronger. I pushed harder and pulled myself up over the swells and down the other sides. I still felt amazingly calm and fresh. I got out to the buoy and waited for the others. The other team members were having a little more problem getting out to the buoy, mainly because the swells were rising higher.


Everyone got back on the boat and we headed towards the dock. We were towing one of the Wave Runners behind us so we were not going in too fast. Looking back at the storm coming in we decided to untie the Wave Runner and have Laurie ride it into the dock. But she accidentally knocked off the safety key into the water and it floated away before we could grab it. So the boat took off looking for the key in the now 2 ft swells. I was in the water and had the Wave Runner untied and then I said screw it and started swimming in the general direction of the key.


Swimming in those conditions was an entirely new experience - what a rush. My adrenaline level was huge. I was pulling harder than ever. Trying to keep my body as rigid as possible. Slicing through the waves. The key was found and I swam over and grabbed it. Once everyone was good and in the boat and the WaveRunner was started we headed into the dock area. by the time we got there the storm hit with it's full furry and after all was over we we all just as wet as if we would have been in the water. In summary - I loved every minute of it..........:-)


Today I got in a good run and I think I will take the afternoon off before heading to work. This has been a great week of training and next week I start packing for my trip. Until then - CIAO
posted by Mondo @ 8:00 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

HPIM0667 Name: John Maynard
Home: Canon City, Colorado, United States
About Me: In 2008 I completed a full Ironman. Since that time I have continued to keep myself in a decent shape with running and hiking. As the years have rolled on so has my midsection. With my 50th birthday behind me I have embarked on another journey in life. This journey will take me into my next decade in the best shape of my entire life. It's time to kick life into overdrive.
See my complete profile

Pueblo Tri T1.1 -->

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

 
Free Web Counters
Site Counter