Tri - Runner's Roost

A blog from a "Middle of the Pack Marathoner" starting his journey from Newbie to Ironman. The ride is awesome!

 
I Don’t Wanna Stop

Add a video to your site Webratsmusic.com
Update your profile
History
I started running in January of 2004 to get in shape. I had gained too much weight and felt terrible. I was able to run my first 5K 3 months later. 2 years later and 50 lbs lighter, I have continued to push for greater goals and have run 5 marathons and I am training for an Iron distance triathlon now. Everyday I wake up with a positive attitude towards life, training and my future.
Marathons Completed
Arizona RockNRoll 2007
Salt Lake City Marathon 2006
Steamboat Marathon 2005
Boulder Backroads 2005
Las Vegas Marathon 2005
Why do I Tri?
Should be why do I want to Tri? I want to see just how far I can push myself. With everyday I am in the best shape of my life. And I'm never going back!!!!
Sponsors
Elite Family Fitness-Canon City
BB's Tanning and Massage
Scheduled Races
Littlefoot Triathlon
Bolder Boulder 10K
Highland Ranch Sprint
Boulder Long Triathlon
Redman Iron Distance
Long Winter Ride
February 19, 2007
Winter Ride?

Yes, it is winter in Colorado still, but today was an awesome day. the temperature rose to 60 degrees and the wind stayed calm for the most part.

I took my new bike, "Apollo" for a long ride. I felt I should get the feeling for how he handles with the new equipment on him. I was able to wear shorts and a short sleeve jersey instead of having to bundle up like I'm making a snowman. GOD, it felt good to get out again on the road and enjoy myself.

I got out on the road and headed East towards Pueblo along Hwy 50. the slight breeze blowing was at my back. the bike handled great from the start and I am feeling very comfortable in the aero bars. the plan was to go out about 20 miles and then turn back on the same route. the trip out was great - my average speed was up to 22mph all the way out, including the hills. I feel a lot faster on this bike. Getting out to the 20 mile mark I stopped and fueled with a gel and then started back.

The route back was a little more difficult with the slight breeze blowing at me. The hills on the way back are not that much steeper, but my legs were a lot more tired. Since last fall, I have not gone more than 1 hour in cycling. the wind got worse as I got closer to town, but I tried to keep up the speed. About 5 miles out of town I noticed that my crankshaft shifter was slipping. I was unable to keep the chain in the big chain ring. So I pulled over and got the cable clamped down better. Good to keep tools on your bike. I finished the last 5 miles in good fashion and sat down for a drink and a bite to eat.

Tonight, I am working graveyard shift at the hospital. My legs feel pretty good so far but I am real tired and having problems keeping my eyes open. Tomorrow I will get in a good 30-40 minute run.

I have been working on my training plan for Timberman 70.3 and after looking at the whole picture I find myself nervous. The plan is so intimidating that I am actually scared to start. I made a promise to myself that I would not just train so that I could bearly finish, but that I want to train and actually compete for a change. This will be the greatest endeavor of my life up to now. Hopefully, it will prepare me for next year's Ironman training program. There is no doubt about it, I will be the strongest, fittest person I Have ever been by the time Timberman get's here. HoooYaaa!
posted by Mondo @ 4:10 AM  
1 Comments:
  • At 6:29 PM, Blogger TriShannon said…

    Got to love this change in weather! Hopefully we are back to a more normal Colorado winter... at least on biking days that is. :)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

HPIM0667 Name: John Maynard
Home: Canon City, Colorado, United States
About Me: In 2008 I completed a full Ironman. Since that time I have continued to keep myself in a decent shape with running and hiking. As the years have rolled on so has my midsection. With my 50th birthday behind me I have embarked on another journey in life. This journey will take me into my next decade in the best shape of my entire life. It's time to kick life into overdrive.
See my complete profile

Pueblo Tri T1.1 -->

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

 
Free Web Counters
Site Counter