Tri - Runner's Roost

A blog from a "Middle of the Pack Marathoner" starting his journey from Newbie to Ironman. The ride is awesome!

 
I Don’t Wanna Stop

Add a video to your site Webratsmusic.com
Update your profile
History
I started running in January of 2004 to get in shape. I had gained too much weight and felt terrible. I was able to run my first 5K 3 months later. 2 years later and 50 lbs lighter, I have continued to push for greater goals and have run 5 marathons and I am training for an Iron distance triathlon now. Everyday I wake up with a positive attitude towards life, training and my future.
Marathons Completed
Arizona RockNRoll 2007
Salt Lake City Marathon 2006
Steamboat Marathon 2005
Boulder Backroads 2005
Las Vegas Marathon 2005
Why do I Tri?
Should be why do I want to Tri? I want to see just how far I can push myself. With everyday I am in the best shape of my life. And I'm never going back!!!!
Sponsors
Elite Family Fitness-Canon City
BB's Tanning and Massage
Scheduled Races
Littlefoot Triathlon
Bolder Boulder 10K
Highland Ranch Sprint
Boulder Long Triathlon
Redman Iron Distance
Marathoner? Triathlete? Other?
May 30, 2006

So as time goes by in my mundane life I start to think about things that could have been, Things that have been but not lasted and things that I may one day take on.
Going back to my youthful days brings back memories of a kid that could not find his niche as a teenager. Oh I wanted to be everything! I tried football (too much pain), soccer (could get the hang of it), cross county skier (boring), alpine skier (more time on my back side). Then I tried cycling and that stuck for 3 years. I felt at home on the bike. I watched "Breaking Away" until I knew the script by heart. I was talking Italian to my friends. I was a team member with a small bike club that was sponsored Wurzburger Beer. Those were fun days.
After serving my country in the Army and returning to real life I found myself wanting to become all sorts of things. I tried being a cowboy, a fly fisherman, a bass fisherman, I tried rock climbing, river rafting, hiking, weightlifter and a boat load of other things I can't remember. I tried to stay in shape. Tried running again but that was short lived. Tried biking again but once again short lived. Then I just stopped trying - decided I would just live a mundane life and put on weight just like all my friends and neighbors. That was 4 years ago.
Why did I all of a sudden decide to change myself again - who knows. I could claim that I received a message from heaven in a bright light. Or that a loud booming voice told me I had to but I would be lying. Maybe it came in a dream that I cannot remember. Maybe the voices in my head told me it was time.
I think back to 2 1/2 years ago when I first stepped foot in the gym again. It was an odd feeling, like coming home after a long trip. Everything was familiar but foreign. As I took my first steps on the treadmill I would never have dreamed in a million years that I would be running marathons, triathlons and going on to something else. Who know what the future holds. But I do know one thing. I have learned how to make goals and achieve them. From simple goals to long term goals. I look forward to the future, I think about increasing my boundaries - of challenging myself more and more. I have started triathlons, now I am planning my future goals as a triathlete. Bring on the Olympic distance, bring on the half and the full Ironman. Bring it all on. I am ready for the challenge. I am ready to commit myself, heart and soul. To learn much more about who and what I really am. To learn how far I can push.
posted by Mondo @ 9:49 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

HPIM0667 Name: John Maynard
Home: Canon City, Colorado, United States
About Me: In 2008 I completed a full Ironman. Since that time I have continued to keep myself in a decent shape with running and hiking. As the years have rolled on so has my midsection. With my 50th birthday behind me I have embarked on another journey in life. This journey will take me into my next decade in the best shape of my entire life. It's time to kick life into overdrive.
See my complete profile

Pueblo Tri T1.1 -->

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

 
Free Web Counters
Site Counter