Tri - Runner's Roost

A blog from a "Middle of the Pack Marathoner" starting his journey from Newbie to Ironman. The ride is awesome!

 
I Don’t Wanna Stop

Add a video to your site Webratsmusic.com
Update your profile
History
I started running in January of 2004 to get in shape. I had gained too much weight and felt terrible. I was able to run my first 5K 3 months later. 2 years later and 50 lbs lighter, I have continued to push for greater goals and have run 5 marathons and I am training for an Iron distance triathlon now. Everyday I wake up with a positive attitude towards life, training and my future.
Marathons Completed
Arizona RockNRoll 2007
Salt Lake City Marathon 2006
Steamboat Marathon 2005
Boulder Backroads 2005
Las Vegas Marathon 2005
Why do I Tri?
Should be why do I want to Tri? I want to see just how far I can push myself. With everyday I am in the best shape of my life. And I'm never going back!!!!
Sponsors
Elite Family Fitness-Canon City
BB's Tanning and Massage
Scheduled Races
Littlefoot Triathlon
Bolder Boulder 10K
Highland Ranch Sprint
Boulder Long Triathlon
Redman Iron Distance
Triathlon for Ordinary Mortals
May 21, 2006

Now back to the race.

I woke up nervous, I drove to Pueblo nervous. But once I arrived at the race I became somewhat relaxed. It was really weird. After setting up my transition area and checking out my bike I went to race registrations and got my timing chip and body markings. Then I got to check out the pool. It was a lot bigger than any pool I had ever been to. But the water was calm, blue, and crystal clear. And I felt good.

The swim was started right on time. I was in the first heat, lane 3, 3rd in the water. Although a longer lane than I am used to, I swam a nice relaxed first lap. Surprisingly, I passed the first swimmer in the lane and kept up a great pace. Following the first swimmer in the lane we finished together and headed outside.

My T1 was quick and uneventful. I think I practiced it enough to know what I needed to do and I grabbed my bike and headed out. I mounted and started pushing the bike hard. Biking is one of my strong points and I quickly caught up to all but the 1st swimmer out of the pool. The route was straight and uphill for the first 5 miles. The 6th mile was downhill to the turnaround point. After the turnaround it was back to uphill but I climbed out of the saddle and stomped hard. I remember glancing at my Garmin and seeing my speed at 19 mph, after cresting the hill I kicked it up to the big gears and again stomped down hard reaching a speed of 36 mph on the downhill. I debated pacing myself but quickly threw that out. The last 300 yards of the bike course I sprinted into the dismount area.

T2 went about like T1 and off I went. I lost about 30 seconds on the run because the course was not marked correctly. Once on the right course my pace stayed around an 8:15 mile and I could see the lead runner ahead of me but I just could not catch up to him before the finish line. I opened up my stride for the last quarter mile and finished my first Triathlon.

And there I was, no longer a virgin. I am a Triathlete. And to all my friends and relatives that encouraged me (yet thought I was nuts) I thank you. And to the question of will I do any more of these races and go on to a possible Ironman competition? I can only say one thing.

THIS SPORT ROCKS.....Sign me up for the next one tomorrow. Bring it on.

I will have my actual times as soon as they are posted.
posted by Mondo @ 12:48 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

HPIM0667 Name: John Maynard
Home: Canon City, Colorado, United States
About Me: In 2008 I completed a full Ironman. Since that time I have continued to keep myself in a decent shape with running and hiking. As the years have rolled on so has my midsection. With my 50th birthday behind me I have embarked on another journey in life. This journey will take me into my next decade in the best shape of my entire life. It's time to kick life into overdrive.
See my complete profile

Pueblo Tri T1.1 -->

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

 
Free Web Counters
Site Counter